Wow this took me way longer to complete than I anticipated! A huge thank you to NapoleonSplit for nominating me! Also I am pretty sure I referred to you as “NeapolitanSplit” before, so sorry for that! Whoops!
Okay so for those of you who do not know about the Liebster Award (copied from NapoleonSplit):
The idea of the award is to is to recognize and promote new up and coming blogs of a good standard with less than 200 followers (on WordPress).
I had a lot of fun answering this questions, and the last one really stumped me! I hope you all enjoy reading them, xx.
What role has reading played in shaping your daily lifestyle?
- My dad tells me that when I was three years old I used to fall asleep with a pocket dictionary on my face, upside down. Needless to say I was born to read. My parents taught me how to read before school did because I desperately wanted to know how. Ever since I can remember I’ve had like seven books on the go at once. It’s a bit of a ridiculous way to read-it takes me months to finish one-but there are just so many that I can’t decide! I think even bigger than my daily lifestyle, my love of reading has shaped my entire life. It is the reason I got a Bachelor’s degree in English, and the reason I want to be an English teacher; I want to spread my love of reading and writing with as many people as I can. It only takes one good teacher to show someone the depth and wonder of books.
What was your most transformative read in 2015?
- You might be surprised, but I’d have to say Harry Potter III, IV & V. Why? Because I had never read the series before. There. I said it. I don’t know why but it just never really appealed to me. I tried, several times actually. But the first book is written for children, and it is basically identical to the movie, so I could never get into it. Last year I finally decided to try to start at the third book. I loved it! I have yet to read the VI and VII, but this is a huge step for me! I am the kind of person who ALWAYS reads the book before seeing the movies. This was the one exception. I find it such a huge change for me because being one of the people who actually know the real Harry Potter story is kind of a big deal. It is the biggest thing to happen in our generation after all. (PS. I do intend to read the first two eventually, maybe out loud to my children when I have them)
If you could travel to any time period, which would you travel to? Why?
- Well if it wasn’t for small pox, millions of other diseases and the great oppression of women, I would probably say sometime in the past, like 17th century England, or ancient Egypt. But since ideally I would like to SURVIVE time travel, I’d say 2000 years in the future! Of course the world could be obliterated by then and I could end up dying anyway, but who wouldn’t want to see where technology is going to take us!? On a super realistic scale, I would probably just time travel to the end of the next week, find out what the winning lottery number are and play them. That way I could probably buy the time machine off of whoever-it-is-that-I’m-somehow-using-it from.
What social issues are you most concerned about? (name 3)
- The War on Drugs- It is a self-perpetuating war that is completely pointless, a waste of SO much money, and it CREATES crime. Drug dealers with guns and gangs only exist BECAUSE it is illegal. People are going to do drugs whether or not the government says they can. Make it all legal, regulate it, tax it, and put all the money put into the war on drugs into creating treatment centres for addicts. Addicts are NOT criminals, they are people with a severe mental disorder and they have just as much right to receive help as anyone else does. Finally the UN is going to take action on this.
- Corporations- They rape and pillage our entire world. What can we do about it? DO NOT SHOP AT CORPORATIONS. Everything, and yes I mean literally everything, you could ever want you can find at local businesses. You might have to go to ten stores instead of making your one-stop-shop at Wal-Mart. But think about it: when you buy something you are giving your money to another person. So next time you spend, think about who you want to be giving your money to. The CEO of Wal-Mart? Or Fred the butcher who owns a small shop in a suburb of your city? For groceries, try to find a farmer’s market where you can buy your vegetables, a bakery for your bread, and a butcher who sells local meat (or at least as close as you can get it from, I know not everywhere has cattle farms). Resources are wasted when they are spent shipping things worldwide, the same things that often grow just down the street. The moral of this is: SHOP LOCAL.
- Over 51% of carbon emissions comes from the cattle industry. And I bet you’ve never heard of it. The thing is, the food industry is actually the most powerful in the world, so powerful that they can direct the media’s attention to fossil fuels. You want to save the planet? Don’t stop driving your car, that’s unrealistic. Hopefully eventually we will have electric cars, but that is another issue. If you really want to make a big difference stop eating meat. That’s a lot to ask I know. Start but cutting down red meat to once a weak. I promise you will be amazed at how good your body feels. There are so many reasons we should not be eating meat. The first, as I mentioned, is that it is the biggest pollution to our planet. Second, these intelligent animals are horribly abused (a pig has the same brain capacity and consciousness as a four year old child). Third, the World Health Organization recently discovered that eating processes meat causes cancer (yes that includes bacon). If you really want to know more about the horrors of the meat industry, watch Cowspiracy on Netflix.
What was your favorite class in college/high school? (Not a general subject)
- Band class. For sure. Band nerd for life!
Name three things that make you happy.
Put together a 4 song soundtrack for one of your favorite books.
- Book: The Saltwater Buddha by Jaimal Yogis
- Lionesque by Hiatus
- Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding
- Dramamine by Modest Mouse
- Hiilawe by Arthur Lyman
If you could travel to any place (real/fictional) where would you travel to?
- PANDORA. I fell in love with the world of avatar, and since a lot of people say I look like one (as weird as that may sound), I feel like I belong there!
Name one New Year’s Resolution for 2016.
- I didn’t make resolutions, but rather goals that I would like to achieve and the steps I am going to take to reach them. You can read about them in my blog post here.
You are going on a dangerous and thrilling adventure in a location of your choosing. Choose a 5 person crew to accompany you consisting of characters from different books.
- Satan from Paradise Lost, because why not?
- Danaerys Targaryn from A Song of Ice and Fire
- Shade from Silverwing, because it could be handy to have a bat!
- Dumbledore, enough said.
- Cleopatra from Shakespeare’s Antony and Cleopatra
- The adventure looks epic!
Name 3 qualities that make the perfect heroine in a novel.
Now 11 random facts about myself:
- I try really really hard to cook, but about 30% of the time it turns out inedible.
- I love snowboarding, snow, and being in the mountains.
- I am an incredibly slow reader, something I am trying to improve on.
- The kind of music I like doesn’t fit into any genre, other than the general term electronic. When someone asks I can only name artists: AtYyA, Dimond Saints, Gladkill, Desert Dwellers, An-Ten-Nae, Hiatus, Haana, Phaeleh, Plantrae, Birds of Paradise
- I daydream a lot. Sometimes I even tune out while someone is speaking to me and only tune back in at the end. I have to idea what they just said, but I’m too embarrassed so I just try to go with it.
- I LOVE Japan. I have never been there but I have always had a fascination with it. I feel like if past lives exist, I was Japanese in a past life.
- I like to hoop dance.
- I love video games. Nintendo and Playstation 4 are my big hits right now. I’m just going to throw Pokemon into this category because I am super passionate about that too. I know them all. Like all 721.
- I can speak a little bit of German and Japanese.
- I like to paint, make jewellery, sew, draw with ink pens,and any kind of craft.
- I love gardening and I can’t wait to have a backyard of my own one day. It is my dream to make a forest garden on an acreage.
11 New Questions:
- If you could create a new holiday, what would it be?
- If you could have any kind of pet (real or fictional) who would they be? Give their name and what you would do together!
- What would you do if you woke up one day and could speak every language in the world?
- Do you think aliens exist? Who, where, and what are they?
- You just found out you have a twin , but he/she doesn’t know they were adopted. What do you do?
- If you could change three things about the country you live in, what would they be?
- Post 4 songs to describe your day today.
- What is the strangest food you have ever tried?
- You can bring any fictional character with you as your date to your next family gathering. Who is it?
- What are three goals you have for 2016?
- What is your biggest accomplishment in 2015?
For new bloggers:
For anyone new to the Liebster Award this is how it works (copied from NapoleonSplit) –
- In a post – answer the questions that your nominator posted for his/her nominees.
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Make up 11 new fun questions for your nominees.
- Give some love back to your nominator , include a link back to their blog and their post.
- You must nominate 5-11 bloggers.